This website stores cookies on your computer. These cookies are used to customize your browsing experience, and for analytics and metrics about our visitors on this website. To find out more about the cookies we use, see our Privacy Policy.

About Us

Home About Us
Winpak is part of a global packaging group with ten manufacturing facilities in North America.  We manufacture and distribute high-quality packaging materials and innovative packaging machines, primarily used for the protection of perishable foods, beverages, pharmaceuticals and health care applications.

Winpak specializes in three main streams of packaging – Flexible Packaging; Rigid Packaging & Lidding and Packaging Machinery.  We are closely aligned with Wipak, one of Europe’s leading manufacturers of packaging materials.  Winpak’s strategic alliance with Wipak allows us to access the expertise of packaging professionals worldwide and offer a broad range of products and packaging solutions globally.


Our Growth

1977

The development of Winpak from its inception as a single manufacturing facility in 1977 until the present day has been accomplished through both organic growth and acquisitions.


1980

Winpak Division in Winnipeg, Manitoba establishes a respectable position in the North American modified atmosphere packaging market.


1988

Winpak acquired 80 percent of Flex-On, Inc., now operating as Winpak Films Inc., and in 1989 acquired the remaining 20 percent. Winpak Films utilizes state-of-the-art multilayer extrusion lines to maintain a strong position in niche film markets.


1992

Winpak acquired the packaging business of PNG Products Inc., one of North America's premier converters of flexible packaging materials. The facility in Toronto, Ontario operated from this location as Winpak Technologies.


1993

Winpak acquired three rigid plastic packaging manufacturing facilities from Consumer's Packaging and formed Winpak Portion Packaging. These facilities manufacture thermoformed rigid plastic cups, trays and rollstock sheets.


1996

Winpak acquired the W.A. Lane companies, a California-based manufacturer of packaging machines and formed Winpak Lane. Winpak Lane is the recognized leader in the design of packaging machinery used for liquid and semi-liquid products.


1997

Winpak Heat Seal Packaging was created from the acquisition of Heat Seal Packaging Inc. of Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec. The company is an integrated manufacturer of heat-sealable membranes and die-cut lids.


1998

Winpak established a new operating unit, American Biaxis Inc., with a 51 percent owned joint venture with Nichimen, now Sojitz Corporation,of Japan to manufacture and distribute biaxially-oriented polyamide (BOPA) film in the Americas.


2002

Winpak acquired the assets of Webkote, a market leader in die-cut foil lidding, and now operates in Illinois as Winpak Heat Seal Corporation. The combined lidding production of the two Winpak Heat Seal manufacturing facilities make Winpak the largest foil lid supplier in North America.


2005

Winpak sold the assets of the printed, paper bag business operated at Winpak Technologies in Toronto, Ontario. The plant was closed at the end of the year. The non-paper products manufactured at the plant were consolidated into other Winpak facilities.


2010

Winpak commissioned a major expansion to its Winpak Films Inc. manufacturing facility to continue producing various technology-based specialty films and packaging materials for fresh meat and cheese.


2012

As part of a major expansion, Winpak Portion Packaging opened a new manufacturing facility in Sauk Village, Illinois. The new facility added thermoforming capacity to produce rigid containers and additional warehouse space to support sales growth.


2012

Winpak Heat Seal opened a new facility in Queretaro, Mexico. The primary purpose of this facility is to provide local supply of die cut lids to the Mexican market as well as other Latin American countries.


2016

Our Winnipeg, Manitoba location completed the largest Coextrusion line in our Company’s history.  This line is set to increase Winpak’s capacity and improve the quality of the multi-barrier films we supply to our customers. 


2017

Back-to-back expansions of our specialty film operations in Senoia, Georgia and our rigid container facility in Sauk Village, Illinois to further increase production capacity.